Friday, July 15, 2011

Daily Eats: Pita Pizza

Pita pizzas are fast, fun, and easy to make. And in my opinion, it's the only thing that one can make, if the world suffered from a hummus shortage. Like any other pizza, pita pizzas can be made with any and with as many toppings that can be delicately placed on a miniature pizza-like surface. This pita pizza was basically made, like most of my other meals, out of desperation (because I was hungry and wanted something fast) and availability (what is left in the fridge).

Here was my approach to a quick pita pizza:
Note: please excuse the informal layout of the ingredients. But, it's necessary to show what it was exactly that I had to work with
  • "a sliver of "cheddar cheese
  • "half-eaten" sausage
  • "what was left of" an onion
  • green bell peppers
  • canned diced tomatoes
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • basil flakes
  • day-old whole-wheat pita bread
In order to make the sauce for the pita pizza, I heated the diced tomatoes in a saucepan and added the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil. I allowed the sauce to cook for five minutes under a low flame. When the sauce was ready, I spread it evenly on the pita bread. And for the more elaborate pizza making process, I shredded cheddar cheese on top and threw on the finely diced vegetables and sausage. I placed the pita pizza in the 350 degree oven for five minutes, or until the cheese melted. In the end, the pizza was amazing. The pita bread was bordering the state of becoming a chip, which made the pizza really thin and crunchy.

No comments: