Monday, July 25, 2011

Daily Eats: The West Indies

Jamaican Curry Chicken Stew with Mango Rice


The necessary ingredient needed in making any Caribbean dish is allspice. Allspice is similar to cinnamon and nutmeg. When accompanied with brown sugar, garlic, and chili peppers, you can make anything thing taste like Jamaica. For this dish, I had really no inspiration besides the fact that I had an overripe mango and tomatoes that needed to be eaten.

For the stew, I used chicken, garlic, allspice, curry powder, brown sugar, chili peppers, salt, onions, tomatoes, and green bell peppers. I incorporated the mango into the rice by simply cooking the rice in a pot and adding in the mango, which I cubed. To add more flavor into the rice, I added some curry powder, along with some salt and sugar to play with the sweetness of the mango. I generally don't like spending more than 30 minutes making a meal and this meal took about twenty minutes to make!

No comments: